I am intrigued about the mind body connection and its impact on fertility - especially how stress impacts fertility.
I experienced a Reiki session with Leanne Hodgson and afterwards felt so relaxed, calm and peaceful. I wanted to know more about how Reiki could help with fertility.
I am excited to share my interview with Leanne Hodgson. Enjoy!
Can you share a little bit about yourself and your background?
I began my career in the business world and spent 20 + years there before I transitioned to self-employment as an energy healer, coach, speaker and trainer. I am divorced and the mother of an amazing 17 year old daughter (and a very unusual Himalayan cat).
Almost 15 years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. At the time I was dealing with chronic pain and stiffness throughout my entire body, very poor sleep, depression and next to no energy. I was trying to juggle the responsibilities of working full-time, taking care of a toddler, being a wife and running a household. I was exhausted and going through life on auto pilot.
Traditional western medicine had no cure for me. I was prescribed sleeping pills and anti-depressants and I was told to learn to live with this for the rest of my life. I was only 35 years old. I tried it this way for a while, but then decided that there had to be a better way. The drugs were only slightly “masking the symptoms”. They weren’t addressing the root of the problem, and I was still feeling horrible day in and day out. In my quest for a better quality of life and to get off of the drugs, I went looking for alternatives. I eventually turned to naturopathy, energy healing and coaching.
Today I live pain and depression free and take no prescription medication. I sleep well and have lots of energy.
Why did you first decide to become a Reiki practitioner?
There are 2 reasons that I decided to become a Reiki practitioner.
1) In Grade 13 I had to choose between becoming a Physiotherapist and going to Business School. My heart and gut told me Physiotherapy but the people around me told me Business School. Being young and unsure of myself at the time, I went to Business School. What people didn't know about me was that I had a very deep desire to help people to heal. That need never went away in all the years I spent in the business world.
2) In 2008 I had a spiritual wake-up call. The company I was working for (which was a $2B privately held company) suddenly declared bankruptcy. By suddenly, I mean it was only 3 weeks from the time we found out there was a problem to the time I was on the street. I was terrified and a little excited all at the same time. I had started learning about the body-mind-spirit connection and I felt that this was my opportunity to learn more. I had learned a little bit about energy healing and I was fascinated by it. I started having energy healing treatments and, as a direct result of the miraculous changes I experienced in my life, I began my training in energy healing.
Describe Reiki and Black Pearl
Reiki and Black Pearl are both energy healing modalities. People are energetic beings. We have a human energy field that is made up of our aura, our chakras and our meridian system. There are many reasons that a person's energy flow can become blocked or negatively impacted (which I will outline later on).
Energy healing re-establishes the normal flow of energy into and within the energetic systems of the body, which allows the body to operate optimally and to access the body's innate ability to heal itself. Energy healing works on the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of our health.
Reiki is a natural and powerful, yet safe and gentle hands-on healing art that restores a person's body, mind and spirit to balance. Reiki is a Japanese term meaning Universal Life Force Energy, which is the pure, positive, creative energy that is around and within all living things.
There are 7 major energy centres in the body called chakras. The chakras are responsible for bringing energy into the body to fuel the organs and systems that are associated with each chakra. When the chakras are balanced and energy is freely flowing through them, the organs and systems function optimally. When there are energy blockages in the chakras, the organs and systems struggle to operate and dysfunction or disease may appear.
Many factors can cause the chakras to go out of balance - today’s busy lifestyle, stress, emotional trauma, negative thought patterns, environmental toxins, medications, preservatives and hormones in our food etc.
Working as a support system to the body, Reiki re-establishes a normal flow of energy throughout the body by bringing the chakras back into balance. This balanced flow then enhances and accelerates the body’s innate ability to heal itself.
How would you approach someone with dealing with infertility?
When a Reiki practitioner is working with someone having fertility issues, they explore where the energy is blocked or out of balance and begin to restore those areas. Many times, the energy in and around the reproductive systems (the sacral chakra) is very low, particularly if the woman has old emotional wounds stored in this area. This can affect the reproductive organs and hormone levels that support ovulation.
Reiki enhances rather than interferes with other medical procedures so it can be used in conjunction with fertility treatments. Reiki is widely recommended for lack of energy, stress reduction, pain relief, strengthening of the immune system, improved sleep, better digestion, less anxiety and depression, recovery from surgery, abuse and trauma, relief from disease-related symptoms and the side effects of medical treatment.
Black Pearl is a gentle method of neuro-vascular recalibration. It is a hands-on modality that makes use of massage-like techniques while bringing attention to specific meridian energy points. The Black Pearl treatment releases stress and deep-seated traumas from the amygdala (located deep within the brain) which works on the parasympathetic, sympathetic and neuro-vascular systems. It releases congested or blocked energy throughout the body and resets the nervous system, calms the body and shifts emotional patterns. People generally report a deep sense of calm and peace and feel “lighter” (like heavy emotions have lifted from them).
Stress can play a big part with infertility. Can you explain more about how Reiki can alleviate stress?
Reiki enables the body to go into a deeply relaxed state. This allows women to experience a reduction in their stress levels. When stress levels are reduced, the body maintains its balance better and the organs and systems can operate optimally. Reiki can also release negative emotions, which can result in a shift towards more hope and having a more positive outlook.
Women who are struggling with infertility also have to be mindful of their thoughts. A lot of our stress isn't caused by the events in our lives, it's caused by our thoughts about the events that happen in our lives. If we fall into a pattern of thinking negatively every time something unexpected or unwanted happens, we get caught up in a lot of negative emotions. This becomes a downward spiral and negatively affects our energy system.
Many people experience a loss of power or control with infertility. How can Reiki help to give them a sense of peace and let them tap into their inner power and knowing?
Having a Reiki treatment is very empowering in itself because it is something a woman can do to take control of her health and well-being. Reiki works to balance body, mind and spirit, each treatment further strengthens a woman in each of these areas. When her energy is flowing and balanced, a sense of peace will return and her natural state of inner strength and knowing will follow.
Regular Reiki treatments promote an overall sense of clarity, vitality, well-being and inner peace. The mind body connection is very powerful. Many people going through infertility experience mental blocks, such as memories, fears or beliefs about parenthood. How can Reiki release these blocks?
Reiki is pure positive energy. It has the power to release negative emotions and beliefs as energetic blocks are cleared. Reiki raises your energy to a higher vibration which allows for new possibilities in one's life.
After the mental blocks are released what would be the next step? How many sessions would you recommend?
Healing is a process and it is different for each person. Your body knows what it needs to heal and in which order. Mental or physical blocks may be released first or simultaneously. Reiki is smart energy and it will go where it is needed – that is the beauty of it.
I use a pendulum so that I and the client can see which chakras have energy blockages associated with them. By the end of the session, I recheck the chakras to see if the chakras have come back into balance. From there, I can recommend when another session might be beneficial. I also tell people to go by how they feel. When they start to not feel as well, it's time for another treatment.
What is different for each person is how long the chakras will hold the balance. All of the factors that we talked about earlier (stress, thoughts etc) will affect this. People whose energetic system needs a lot of repair may only be able to hold the balance for a week or two. However, over time and with consistent treatments, a treatment once a month may be enough to keep the chakras balanced and create the perfect environment for conception to take place.
Do you have any tips or body work techniques that can be used at home?
There is so much that a woman can do at home to support her journey to becoming pregnant:
1) get 7 to 8 hours sleep a day – this is when the body does it's repair and restoration work
2) fuel your body with good quality food each day – you are what you eat
3) hydrate your body well each day (the body is 70% water and you want to ensure that the water is changed frequently)
4) breathe - meditate every day even if it's only for 5 minutes – use a mantra if it helps you to focus and clear your mind (ie sat nam or aham brahmasmi)
5) energy flow visualization – this visualization looks like an infinity sign standing upright; as you breathe in visualize your energy going way up into the sky (to hook up to Universal energy) and as you exhale, visualize your energy coming back down through your body and deep into the ground (to ground you). Keep repeating the visualization as you breathe in and out to keep your energy flowing well.
6) ensure that your self-talk is positive and loving (no beating yourself up for not getting pregnant again this month) so that you create a loving atmosphere for conception to take place.
7) mirror work – look into your eyes in the mirror and say your name (ie Sarah, I love you, I really, really love you)
8) visualize yourself as being pregnant and/or having a beautiful baby in your arms and allow yourself to feel the amazing emotions as if it's already happened (act as if)
9) positive affirmations – I am happy and grateful now that I am enjoying a healthy pregnancy or I am happy and grateful now that I have a healthy baby
- if you can imagine it, you can create it (your current thoughts create your future reality)
10) do things that bring you joy
- the more you do things that you love, the higher you will vibrate
- the higher you vibrate, the more easily your life will flow and the more blessings you will experience in your life
What books and resources do you recommend on Reiki? Do you have any music that your recommend?
I don't have any specific books on Reiki to recommend. What I do recommend is going into a bookstore and picking up a number of books on the subject. Review the table of contents, flip through the chapters, read a few paragraphs here and there, and you will know which book(s) “speak to you”.
Music can have a profound impact on a person and it is a very personal thing. I recommend music that transports you to a relaxed, serene and peaceful place. For some people, that is harps, sounds of nature, pan flutes or drums. Choose what feels loving.
Knowledge without action is meaningless. Take one tip from this article and implement it today. Share this article with someone who you think would benefit from the content. Let me know what you think. How would you use Reiki to support your fertility journey?
Sarah Clark had both her children with donor eggs and not until years later did she discover the root cause of her infertility was a food intolerance. Ready to gaze into your baby's eyes...but struggling? Download my FREE 10 Step Checklist