We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Today I’m welcoming Dr. Tracy Gapin to the podcast.
We’re digging into how to optimize male fertility so that you can get pregnant naturally.
Tracy Gapin, MD, FACS is a board-certified urologist, world renowned men’s health & performance expert, best-selling author, and professional speaker. He has over 20 years of experience focused on providing Fortune 500 executives, entrepreneurs, and athletes a personalized path to optimizing their health and performance.
Dr. Gapin incorporates precision hormone optimization, peptide therapy, state-of-the-art biometric tracking, epigenetic coaching, and cutting-edge age management protocols to help men realize their full potential so they can be the husbands, fathers, and leaders they’re meant to be.
Dr. Gapin’s first book, Male 2.0: Cracking the Code to Limitless Health and Vitality explores cutting-edge strategies to optimize men’s health. As a renowned speaker, Dr. Gapin shares his signature talk with medical audiences and men’s health organizations: A Data-Driven Personalized Approach to Optimizing Mens’ Health.
For many men setting up a consult with a doctor or a urologist is the hardest part of the fertility process.
I’ve spoken with so many couples that are struggling with infertility and many tell me that the male partner has not even been examined or received a semen analysis – while the female partner has undergone extensive testing.
This is not to blame the man. Similar to how women may feel that femininity is wrapped up in motherhood. Men may feel emasculated and experience guilt, shame, and low self-worth when they are on the fertility journey.
As you learned last week sperm counts have dropped by more than 50% over the past 40 years.
It is essential that the male partner fully participates in the process as you prepare for pregnancy success.
That’s why our proven Fab Fertile Method includes the partner.
As is the case with egg health – it is important not to myopically focus on semen quality – but to look at the healing opportunities in the whole body – because improving overall health positively impacts the health of the sperm.
In this episode you’ll learn:
1) Common themes with male fertility from a urologist so you don’t miss crucial healing opportunities
2) Getting to the bottom of hormonal imbalance and low testosterone and why testosterone therapy is a band-aid approach.
3) How to check for a Varicocele. How effective is a vasectomy reversal? What to do if there is no sperm can this be improved?
4) Addressing gut health, environmental toxins exposure, nutrition, epigenetics, mindset, stress, and more so that semen quality can be restored.
05:01- INTRO TO TODAY’S EPISODE AND DR. TRACY GAPIN’S BIO
06:13- DR. GAPIN’S JOURNEY AND WHY HE DOES THIS WORK
- “The disease model that I’d been in was insufficient.”
07:54- COMMON THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY
- Why he believes this is a men’s health pandemic
- Testosterone has dropped 30-40%
- Fertility has dropped over 50%
- Sperm count has dropped 60%
- Why he believes our society will be infertile by the year 2040 if something doesn’t change
- He is seeing young men coming in without sperm
10:49- TOP TESTS HE RECOMMENDS
- Systems based approach to health & the M.A.L.E. framework
14:15- DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPERM COUNT, MOTILITY, MORPHOLOGY
15:10- WHY WOULD THERE BE DEBREE IN A SEMEN SAMPLE?
15:40- DNA FRAGMENTATION?
16:20- HORMONAL IMBALANCE AND LOW TESTOSTERONE
- Symptoms and causes
- Low testosterone is not just about sex
- Testosterone is important for bone health, cognitive function, energy level, etc
- “When we look at a guy with low testosterone, it’s not just libedo, it’s not just sex, it’s really about his life.”
18:53- THE M.A.L.E FRAMEWORK
- Mindset: stress resilience, mindfulness, and meditation
- “Mindset is first and foremost”
- Aging: we now know that we can reverse aging, cellular function, the way our body creates proteins, etc
- Lifestyle: nutrition, not only what he eats but when he eats, sleep patterns, etc
- Environment: toxins, gut health, detoxifications, etc.
- Optimizing testosterone (without giving testosterone)
22:33 WHAT ABOUT MEN WHO STRUGGLE WITH MINDFULNESS/MINDSET?
- App and meditation recommendations
24:20- WHY HE RECOMMENDS WEARABLE TECH: WHY TRACK SLEEP?
- The importance of sleep quantity and quality
- What does snoring mean? Is it a symptom of something?
- Sleep studies and what to expect
- EMFs? Should we be concerned?
30:30- ENVIRONMENTAL TOXINS- HOW THEY AFFECT MEN
- The studies that show the effect toxins have on our health and the poor regulation in the west
- “Men need to be eating grass-fed meets”
- “Be aware of the source of your food.”
- Personal care products, plastic food containers, and other things that are contaminating us
- “It’s a scary problem that is not getting the attention it deserves”
- Small, simple things we can do to minimize exposure
36:41- WHEN WOULD WE USE TESTOSTERONE- REPLACEMENT THERAPY?
- How this treatment can affect your body and how it can actually affect sperm production
- Why he does not recommend giving testosterone, men who have completely lost their sperm as a result, and exploring if the effects are reversible
- Other ways to increase testosterone (that won’t signal the brain to stop producing sperm)
- How long should someone be on clomid?
- “You will not see dramatic results with fertility overnight.”
- “Men need estrogen.”
43:30- WHAT ABOUT MEDICATIONS AND ADVERSE REACTIONS?
44:07- VARICOCELE- HOW OFTEN IS THAT MISSED? WHAT DO WE DO?
- What is varicocele? What are we looking for?
- Can it affect sperm function? How common are they?
- What are the treatment options?
46:53- VASECTOMY REVERSAL- HOW EFFECTIVE ARE THEY?
47:53- DR. GAPIN’S RECOMMENDATIONS
48:24- DR. GAPIN’S SUCCESS STORY
49:00- DR. GAPIN’S FREE BOOK OFFER
- “We really need to change our approach to men’s health- it needs to be personalized.”
49:45- FINAL THOUGHTS: PEPTIDES
FREE copy of Dr. Gapin’s book – Male 2.0 – drtracygapin.com/limitless
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):