Today I’m welcoming Samantha Kellgren back to the podcast!
We’re digging into how to know which exercise is right for you when you are TTC.
Samantha has a background in personal training (NASM) and run coaching (RRCA) and practices now as an ACE certified health coach focused on improving women’s relationship with exercise and themselves.
After getting into running, Samantha fell in love with the sport but fell into an unhealthy dependence on exercise. After going off the pill in 2016 she found she was missing her period entirely and started down the path of fertility treatments. Once she received a Hypothalamic Amenorrhea diagnosis once they were upon IVF, she started cutting back on intense workouts and gained a needed 10 pounds.
She had her son via IVF in February 2018 and through deep mindset shifts around exercise and body image, she now enjoys more balance between working out and living her life than she knew existed! Samantha lives in Asheville, NC with her husband, son, and dog.
Figuring out what is the best exercise routine when you are trying to conceive can be confusing. We hear questions about this all the time.
How much cardio should you do?
Does exercise impact implantation?
Does exercise impact your ability to get pregnant?
That’s why our Fab Fertile Method includes a consult with an exercise coach so that we can determine what is the best exercise for each client.
It’s about finding the right type of exercise for your body.
And once we figure out what is the right type of exercise then our coaching system holds you accountable so that you can keep on track so that you don’t over-exercise or under exercise.
On this podcast you’ll learn:
1) Why movement is so important for health and fertility. We discuss blood sugar, cortisol, weight loss, relaxation, sleep, and energy levels.
2) The top mistakes we see movement for fertility
3) What holds people back from exercise and strategies take action.
4) Is running or high-intensity cardio recommended when we are TTC.
5) How often should we exercise each week to optimize our fertility
6) Favourite types of exercise for fertility and which exercises we need to avoid.
7) What types of exercise can be done before IUI/IVF
- Mental health and stress relief
- “Your healthy body weight isn’t always your goal body weight.”
- Why sometimes there is too much of a good thing
- Not providing your body with adequate rest
- Why during this time we shouldn’t be focused on fat loss
- How does exercise affect our immune system?
- Are you giving yourself enough calories and water?
- Crippled by too much information about fertility and working out
- Letting go of your “all or nothing” thinking with exercise
- Motivation working out and utilizing accountability
- Finding something that you enjoy doing
- “Any movement is better than no movement.”
- Finding an instructor you enjoy
- Using a timer to tell if you are tired or just avoiding it
- Strength training and just using your body weight
- Using resistance bands
- The negative impact of running too much and not focusing on your nutrition
- “Pay really close attention to your cycles.”
- “Make sure you are replenishing everything you are losing.”
- The addiction or running and listening to your body
- Focusing on intensity levels instead of time
- Walking, yoga, strength training, etc
- The difference between a brisk and purposeful walk
- “Gentle movement is key Do what feels good.”
- Being obsessive with it
- APP recommendations
- Finding a time frame that works for YOUR schedule
- Trying different things and not thinking exercise has to look one way
- Why accountability is IMPORTANT and worth investing in (a coach)
- “It isn’t all or nothing.”
- Incorporating movement during the day
- Using playlists to help you enjoy and time your workouts
- Using rewards and cues
- Removing thought and hesitancy
- Using challenges for motivation
- Finding accountability and while balancing not being obsessive
7M workout fitness app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/7-minute-workout-fitness-app/id806995720
Sydney Cummings: https://www.youtube.com/c/SydneyCummings/featured
Five Parks Yoga: https://www.youtube.com/c/FiveParksYoga/featured
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health) Visit BLUBlox website at: https://www.blublox.com Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):