We’re digging into how the thyroid impact fertility.
For years I was told my thyroid was “normal”… but my hair was falling out in chunks, my skin looked like a lizard and I had cold feet and hands.
Not until I pushed my doctor to look beyond the TSH did my symptoms begin to improve.
Looking only at the TSH does not give us the whole picture.
If you are struggling to conceive or if you have an ovulation disorder, irregular menstrual cycle, recurrent miscarriage optimizing your thyroid is key.
And yes thyroid medication can be part of the solution but when used alone it is simply a band-aid solution and may not lead to pregnancy success.
I’m here to tell you that medical gaslighting is real. You know your body. Be your own advocate. Get a second opinion. Dig deeper.
Today I’m excited to welcome Dr. Amie Hornaman a.k.a. The Thyroid Fixer. Dr. Amie is a Doctor of Clinical Nutrition as well a leading Functional Medicine expert in thyroid conditions.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Why thyroid health is important for someone who is struggling with infertility and miscarriage.
- The factors that inhibit thyroid health and what you can do to minimize your risk.
- Why we need to look at the full thyroid panel. Why doctors often only look at TSH and claim it is “normal”.
- The thyroid numbers and levels that are important to look at when you are TTC.
- What thyroid antibodies really mean for your health and fertility.
- Which medications can be helpful for thyroid dysfunction and how we can optimize thyroid health so we can improve pregnancy success.
2:27 WELCOME DR. AMIE & INTRODUCE TODAY’S TOPIC
3:25 DR. AMIE’S JOURNEY TO BECOMING THE THYROID FIXER
- From figure competitions to unexplained weight gain
- Dr. Amie’s struggle first to get a diagnosis and then to resolve her thyroid issues
- How Dr. Amie’s changed her career trajectory and became a Functional Medicine expert
- There are so many women that are misdiagnosed and undiagnosed.
8:26 WHY THYROID HEALTH MATTERS FOR YOUR FERTILITY
- The thyroid is the master gland.
- If your thyroid isn’t functioning optimally, neither will your sex hormones
- Conditions that we commonly see alongside thyroid issues
- The connection between thyroid hormones and conception and pregnancy
- It’s better to wait six months and get your body in the best pre-conception health.
- How the fertility industry pushes us to rush and panic
- This is the hidden knowledge that you’re not going to find on Dr. Google.
14:47 THE FAMILY CONNECTION
- If we take all the hypothyroid cases out there, 90-95% of them are going to be Hashimoto’s.
- The genetic aspect of Hashimoto’s
18:33 FACTORS THAT CAN INHIBIT THE THYROID
- Testerone is often overlooked but very important for women
- The vicious cycle of unexplained weight gain, under-eating and over-exercising
20:46 WHY YOU NEED TO DO A FULL THYROID PANEL
- What we can learn from our different thyroid hormones
- Why we aim for optimal versus standard lab rages
26:10 WHAT THYROID ANTIBODIES TELL US ABOUT YOUR HEALTH
28:44 THE CONNECTION BETWEEN GLUTEN & YOUR THYROID
- Molecular mimicry and how gluten damages the thyroid gland
- Repeated gluten exposure can spur an autoimmune attack.
- Gluten as a cause of leaky gut
- The diet piece is key.
32:34 GRAVES’ DISEASE & THYROID REMOVAL
- Key considerations post-removal
- Dr. Amie’s perspective on thyroid removal
36:56 STRESS & YOUR THYROID
- T3 and cortisol need each other
- High cortisol will get in the way of your thyroid working properly.
- Our stress levels directly impact our fertility.
39:57 DR. AMIE’S APPROACH TO TESTING
- Everything works synergistically in the body when you do all the things
- Why it’s crucial to make lifestyle changes alongside medication
- How often you should be testing
43:01 THE ULTIMATE GOAL IS OPTIMIZATION
- The goal is not always to get you off of medication.
45:00 THE BEST MEDICATION IS THE ONE THAT WORKS FOR YOU
47:01 A SUCCESS STORY
48:46 HOW YOU CAN USE DR. AMIE’S FREE LAB CHECKLIST
- You have to be your own patient advocate.
50:00 ALWAYS HAVE HOPE
- Getting in tune with your body and listening when it sends you a signal is imperative.
Fab Fertile Method – https://www.fabfertile.com/what-we-do/
Connect with Dr. Amie Hornaman
- Dr. Amie Hornaman’s FREE Lab Checklist
- Dr. Amie Hornaman’s Website
- Dr. Amie Hornaman on Instagram
- Dr. Amie Hornaman on Facebook
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 283: I’m Taking Synthroid What Else Can I Do To Optimize My Thyroid
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Fab Fertile Store
Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our fertility bundles with the essentials for preconception health.
Visit https://bit.ly/fabfertilestore and use code VIP15 to save 15% off your order.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://www.fabfertile.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!